Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Life: Self Narrative


Today I am up here to supposedly talk about my life. Obviously this is meant to be a narrative speech, talking about my life. Actually there's not much to say about my life. I didn't live in a jungle where I ate caterpillars as a daily diet. nor did I have a disabled member in my family who I always had to look after. No, no, no. I grew up in quite the average family in South Korea, living in an apartment with my mother, father, and my younger sister. We are a happy family and are very close to each other. All of this is boring. Nothing in life would be that different to you guys also with a normal family and in a normal house. It seems a bit ridiculous to actually talk about myself and my life when it's just the same as everybody else's.

To be honest though, I think I have a story that I can tell everyone else that probably most of the people here haven't gone through. A car accident. And a serious one. How many of you saw your airbag go off? Or did anyone see your car window shattered into pieces on the road? Well not that much I guess. Okay then, let me tell you what exactly happened. It was about a year ago, it was the day when me, my mom, and my sister had lunch with my grandmother. After the meal and after a bit of shopping, me, my mom, and my sister gave our grandmother a ride back to her apartment, and then left for my English Academy. My mother said that she needed to stop by to refill the fuel tank at a gas station, so she drove to the direction. Our car arrived near the gas station, at a T-shaped road. (Drawing and explaining) The light was on signaling the left turn, and my mom drove the car forward. And then there was a crash. It was incredible. Something so powerful shook the entire body of the car, making everyone inside, the three of us, not being able to sense what was going on in that moment. My sister screamed for a second. And then silence. Well I guess I just thought it was silent because my ears were ringing. Then I got out of the car first, trying to figure out what happened. Then I was dumbstruck. Our car's right side was literally caved in. (Drawing Explanation) And also the direction of our car was FACING the other car(a truck actually). That day, we all went to the hospital taking small tests and getting check-ups, and having the entire day off. Luckily, no one had a serious injury, except for the truck driver who sprained his ankle. Honestly I has a bit more relieved by the fact that I missed the English Academy rather than the fact that I didn't die.

But anyways, there's a message I want to tell you. What I learned through this not-an-every-day-event is that not necessarily the fact that you should put your seat belt on. Actually, my sister didn't get hurt because she didn't had her seat belt on and because she was leaning towards me, but that's a different story. What I really wanted to say is that everyone in this room should live your life as if it is your last. People these days, take their life as granted. But, there is a open possibility to be gone from this world every second of your life. My grandmother that day, was lucky. If she decided to be with us in the car, she might have gone through serious injuries that may have harmed her life. Especially because she would have had seated on the right front passenger seat, which was the most heavily damaged. Not only about our grandmother, but even myself, if our car was not a SUV that is higher than an average sedan, I might not be here.

After experiencing an accident that might have been somewhat fatal, I began to lean close to the idea that you have to live your life without regret. I believe it is very important to do so. Looking back at the accident, I...was scared. because your life, your last breath can be taken anywhere, at anytime. So lastly, I want you to shout out carpe diem! in your lives. Live a life where you will not regret anything, and enjoy your afternoon! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment